Originally posted on http://blog.amplemeal.com/2017/12/complete-beginners-guide-keto/.
Welcome to part three of our series on ketosis!
- Learn your macros
- Start eating keto (with a sample menu)
- Stay strong for two weeks (and what to do if you’re having a hard time sticking to keto)
- Add-ons and alternatives (and how to tell if you should change your diet)
Let’s get to it!
Step 1: Learn your macros
A ketogenic diet is built around your macronutrient ratio the balance of fat, protein, and carbs you eat. The general guidelines are:
- 60-80% of calories from fat
- 15-30% of calories from protein
- 5-10% of calories from carbs
There’s wiggle room here. You may be able to stay in keto with 10-15% carbs; your friend may need to stay at 5%. Everyone’s a little different. A good place to start is down the middle:
Assuming you eat 2,000 calories a day, that would be:
- 50g of carbs
- 100g of protein
- 155g of fat
Here’s a good calculator for figuring out your macros. Once you have your numbers, you’re ready to begin your keto journey.
One thing to keep in mind: you want a…